Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 7 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Surfing in Nevis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:20 am 

Hi, I'm heading to Nevis this coming October adn i'm wondering if there is any surfing spots (regular surfing, not windsurfing) adn if there is anywhere to rent a board?

Thanks
Mairo

Sponsor

Hotwire: 4-Star Hotels at 2 Star Prices; Save 50%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:24 am 

In the 9+ years I've been on Nevis don't recall ever seeing anyone surfing.

If you did surf, the best place would be Windward Beach (on the Atlantic side near the Horse Race Track). That's the place with the best wave action but currents and undertows there can be quite strong.

Sorry, don't know of anyone who rents boards but you could try contacting Oualie Beach (www.oualiebeach.com or 869-469-9735). They have widsurfers for rent so if anyone has regular surfboards it will be them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:09 pm 

Cheers Caribsurfer for the feedback.

It's true that in all of the research i have done on this i have not come across a single indication that there are any good surf spots or any evidence of surfing whatsoever. Oh well, i guess i'll just have to do without.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:59 pm 

On our visit last year I ran into a fellow named Harry who, if my memory is correct, surfs regularly down the Atlantic side, as mentioned. Here is his e-m but note the @ substitute.
hwh888 at gmail.com
Give him a try...nice guy and very good at forecasting Nevis weather & waves.
Cheers, Richard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:19 pm 

Over the years I have seen, albeit rarely, surfers off of Indian Castle and Coconut Walk on the Eastern side of Nevis. However, I have often seen surfers off of Herbert Beach, about 300 yards out, beyond the coral reef. On Sundays there are a number of local residents that cook out on Herbert Beach and kids that surf. They generally can be seen off the point where the Seth Up beach bar is located, but now is closed. Herbert Beach is located next to Nisbet Plantation. The entrance is on the same side of the road about ½ mile up the road. I have never seen anyone rent boards on Nevis, but I am sure if you show up on a Sunday and ask to use a board-especially if you are good- someone will let you. You can also check with the Nisbet beach bar bartender, Allison. He may know someone who surfs at that location.

Page 1 of 2 [ 7 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next